Server behind NAT?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
protected

Server behind NAT?

Post by protected »

Hello. Just noticed UMS is not working in my current network setup and I'm hoping someone can explain to me what I need to do in order to get it working again. This is not a bug, UMS is doing nothing wrong (probably), I just need pointers or possibly a guide.

I have two routers. The renderer is behind router A. There is another router, router B, which is also plugged into router A. Router B performs NAT but is in the DMZ of router A. The server is plugged into router B.

Currently the server (UMS) and the renderer do not see each other. Can I make the server (UMS) and the renderer talk to each other? How?

(I am expecting this to be a router setup issue. Am I wrong?)
protected

Re: Server behind NAT?

Post by protected »

I tried forwarding the ports listed under "servers" in the UMS interface (TCP) through router B to the computer running UMS, but it doesn't look like it was sufficient. Detection still fails both ways. How is detection performed - which device should see which first?
protected

Post by protected »

Tried to run OpenVPN on Router A and connect the server to it, then assign the UMS network interface to it. Two issues:
- TAP Windows Adapter is not listed in UMS for some reason? I tried forcing it manually via config file.
- Regardless of cause, it didn't work/no renderers listed (the server started and there were no errors). *Should* it have worked? If it should, I can post that as its own support request, following the guidelines. Important to note that Router A does not allow manual port forwarding to VPN addresses.
boss

Post by boss »

Can I ask why you want 2 routers on the same network.
A few months ago someone else was trying to do the same as you but went with another solution.
protected

Post by protected »

VR uses 100% of Router B's hardware. There are actually 3 routers in this network - Internet, home network (including 2.4ghz wifi) and VR. The only alternative is to get an additional network card for the PC or to get another PC for UMS (expensive).
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Boss is better to help with this as I know little about networking.

There was someone else that wanted something similar recently here so might be something there that can help.

In that case they wanted to hide UMS from guests that come round and use the WiFi, but the best solution was to set up a guest network in the routers options.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
boss

Post by boss »

Is there a reason why you cannot have the "internet router" performing DHCP services and have the other 2 routers connected to the "internet router" with fixed IP's (on the same subnet) and have DHCP turned off on these other 2 routers.
EG:
192.168.0.1 - Internet router with DHCP with a range of 192.168.0.50 - 192.168.0.200.
192.168.0.2 - Router B with a fixed IP and DHCP off. (LAN port on this router to LAN port on the Internet Router).
192.168.0.3 - Router C with a fixed IP and DHCP off. (LAN port on this router to LAN port on the Internet Router).

So, in effect, routers B & C just become access points/switches.
protected

Post by protected »

The internet router is administered by the ISP and not very customizable, so forget about that one. I've tried using the VR router as an access point but it (Asus) is too smart for its own good, I think. If there's no WAN it says the internet connection is down and locks a bunch of stuff (even though the internet is fully reachable). I don't exactly recall all the issues I've had during the hours I spent on it, but it was a major headache I failed to solve. I might give it another try I guess, assuming I can rely on no regular packets exchanged between the VR headset (wifi) and the computer ever going to the main home router. I'm currently running a custom firmware that might be less idiotic about this.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, I remembered that it was going into a state in which it became unusable and unreachable and required a factory reset. But the factory reset didn't *fully* reset the router settings either. Fun times!
boss

Post by boss »

Another thought.
I have a similar situation with my ISP and their router (fiber connection).
I had the ISP put their router in bridged mode (so it is just operating like a modem) and then everything else (routing, port forwarding etc), is done by my own router.
Perhaps your ISP would be willing to do the same.

What model is your Asus router?
protected

Post by protected »

OK, I have just managed to set the Asus up as an access point (without anything breaking), thus sidestepping this issue. It's a RT-AX86U running asuswrt-merlin.