UMS blocked when VPN is connected

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
JDN165

UMS blocked when VPN is connected

Post by JDN165 »

Recently I installed a vpn on the pc where UMS is running (in my case NordVPN).
Now I noticed that, when the vpn is connected, UMS can't be reached from any pc in my network. Disconnecting the vpn makes UMS visible again from all pc's.
However, I can define split tunneling for the vpn and specify processes that should not be affected by the vpn. I defined the following UMS tasks as processes that should be ignored by the vpn:

- C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\UMS.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\jre17\bin\javaw.exe

But still UMS is blocked somehow when the vpn is active.
Are there more UMS executables or dll's perhaps that I should exclude in de split tunneling?
mik_s

Re: UMS blocked when VPN is connected

Post by mik_s »

It could be that UMS is picking up the VPN network adaptor as a valid one and broadcasting over that instead of your local network.
In theory this should not be happening now as UMS should ignore virtual network interfaces like VPNs.

Try changing "Force networking on interface:" from auto-detect to your physical network adaptor and see if that fixes it.
Clipboard Image (4).jpg
Clipboard Image (4).jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 9328 times
If that does not work then there will be a clue in the logs.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
JDN165

Re: UMS blocked when VPN is connected

Post by JDN165 »

"Force networking on interface" is already set to the ethernet controller of the pc itself (the UMS server).

By the way: when the vpn is connected while UMS is active (media files are being played through UMS) there's no problem. The files (music in my case) keep on playing.
It's only when I need to browse the UMS library for new files, the UMS server can't be found anymore from any pc in the network. I must disconnect the vpn on the UMS server to make UMS visible again so I can browse the library again.
And it's only UMS that seems to be blocked when the vpn is active, network shares on that server are accessible and also remote desktop to that server works fine when vpn is connected on the UMS server.