x265 videos(mp4) will not seek

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Littlegrand

x265 videos(mp4) will not seek

Post by Littlegrand »

As the title says x265 videos in mp4 format will not seek. They also show a network connection error seconds before the end of the show. I have tested on Samsung tv and VLC player on Windows, both are the same. Other codecs work fine.

I have tried going into the transcode folder and it does the same.

I just upgraded to the latest version(13.2.1) and the bug is still there. I attached the log file as instructed above.

Any ideas?
Attachments
ums_dbg_2023-04-06-17-53.zip
(3.47 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: x265 videos(mp4) will not seek

Post by SubJunk »

This depends on the device support, and our config for it, and the other file attributes.
I can see on page 138 of your TV manual https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/cont ... 7-0528.pdf that the TV does not support H.265, so UMS is transcoding the video for your TV (converting the video into a format your TV supports).
Unfortunately some TVs do not support seeking while transcoding.

We have some advanced configuration options to try to trick devices into thinking they support seeking, which you can try putting in the config "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers\Samsung-CD.conf"
Options to try are combinations of:

SeekByTime=true
SeekByTime=exclusive

and

TranscodedVideoFileSize=-1
TranscodedVideoFileSize=100000000000

If you find a combo that works for you, please let us know so we can update the config
mik_s

Re: x265 videos(mp4) will not seek

Post by mik_s »

Subjunk beat me to it but yeah unfortunately Samsung TV's use seek by byte so when transcoding it is not possible to seek as the rest of the video does not exist yet.
I have not had any luck using the other seek options to get it to work on my F series TV, I don't know if the H series would be the same.
I found that FF and RWD do not work even when playing a supported video over the network and will only work when playing from the USB.

For VLC it should work fine as it supports h265 so the video should be streamed.
If it cannot seek then UMS is probably transcoding but I saw no reference to VLC in your logs so I am just guessing.
I see you are using an old version of UMS. There was a recent change in the way version numbers in VLC are formatted which prevented UMS from matching correctly and if this is the case then that would be the reason it is transcoding.
The conf file for VLC has been updated in the newer versions to correctly match the VLC version so if you update this should fix it.
If for some reason it has not been updated you can get the fixed conf here
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.