[Solved] Stuck at "detected media renderers" screen

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
geraltciri1861

[Solved] Stuck at "detected media renderers" screen

Post by geraltciri1861 »

Hi -

You were able to rescue me a few years ago and I hope you can now. First of all, I use a PS3 (much more reliable than the PS4 for streaming media files, IMHO) and it is hard-wired to my computer network. An older version of UMS was working just fine until this week, when it refused to find my computer and UMS could not "see" the PS3. I did the usual bit of deleting the old database (which helped before), hoping that would help again. It didn't. So...I figured it was time to update the software to the latest version available, and I'm still running into the same-ish issue of it not detecting anything.

By the way, I DID perform a "clean" install by completely uninstalling the old version and doing a fresh installation. It is version 13.4.1. (I cannot recall the older version I was running previously, but it wasn't working, anyway!) I am running this on a Windows 10 machine. (Still refusing to upgrade to Win 11!)

I am attaching the only log file available--since the software is basically not running at all--from the ProgramData folder, as instructed. UMS has been soooo reliable for me over the years, overall, that I really hope this can be solved somehow.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks so much ahead of time. I greatly appreciate this software and all you have done to make it work.

Later Attempt after original post: I tried switching to the old (non-Web) interface, and also tried tinkering with the Force networking on interface drop-down under General Settings, which was blank, and forced it to Realtek PCI GBe, which is what I have. (This was another earlier solution offered to me in this forum, since Windows updates often muck things up.) Still no joy. I was also confused by the fact there were about 5 Realteks listed with variously different wording afterwards; I just used the first one listed.
Attachments
debug.log
(77.91 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
geraltciri1861

Re: Stuck at "detected media renderers" screen

Post by geraltciri1861 »

To quote the late American comedian Gilda Radner from one of her Saturday Night Live characters years ago: "Never mind!"

After further hair-pulling and using several choice words, I realized that over the previous weekend my ESET Internet Security program had asked me, in general, if I wanted to increase my security score that they had for me. I foolishly said yes, being the aging and forgetful guy that I am. End result: the all-too important ports necessary for UMS (5001 usingTCP plus 9001 over TCP and UDP) had to be opened on their firewall rules. (I hope I got those ports right, BTW. Am I missing any?) Anyway, all is well once again in the UMS world.

(And for what it's worth, I still prefer the "old" interface over the fancier Web-based one, but us old guys tend to dislike change.)

Thanks, anyway, and please feel free to mark this "Solved." (Or at the very least, "Withdrawn on account of senility.")
mik_s

Re: Stuck at "detected media renderers" screen

Post by mik_s »

Sorry I must have completely missed this, or looked at it but was busy at the time and was planning to come back but totally forgot. :oops:

I don't know if this would have been clear to me that the ports were blocked though.

Glad you got it sorted. I think that is all the ports you need but not 100%. The web player is accessible on port 9002 so you might want to open that up if you want to use it.

The old GUI is still there (right click the tray icon), just it is harder for the devs to make changes as they have more experience with web based programs and can do them faster.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.