UMS on Samsung Smart TV (CU7000)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ah1cm

UMS on Samsung Smart TV (CU7000)

Post by ah1cm »

I've been using UMS for years on my PS4, but I recently purchased a Samsung CU7000 Smart TV and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get UMS to work on it. UMS does not seem to be detecting the TV, and the TV does not detect UMS. The TV DOES detect Windows Media Player's media server, so I know at least that my computer and my TV are talking to each other. I haven't really tried too many things so far because I've never had to mess around under the hood of UMS and I'm not sure where to start.
I could use some advice here. It doesn't seem as simple as going to the connected devices and seeing what is there.

[EDIT/UPDATE]: After two hours of fooling around, I figured out that UMS was using the wrong network adapter. I manually inserted my ethernet adapter's IP address and bam it was visible on all my devices again. For anyone who has a similar problem, in Windows, go to Search, type "CMD" and open the Command Prompt, type "ipconfig /all" and find the IPv4 address of your most reliable adapter. Put that in to UMS under "General">"Force IP of Server", restart. If your router dynamically assigns an IP, reserve a specific IP for your computer.

I deleted the log file from this post since it's no longer necessary.
riffster

Re: UMS on Samsung Smart TV (CU7000)

Post by riffster »

I have the same tv (UN75CU7000P) and im having problems with playing my UHD and 4K MKV files...they show up as wrong file size and type when viewing on the tv, also at that point i'd like to say the very same file play through UMS same settings and all on another tv. is there something i have to set to accomodate the other TV?
Attachments
_ums_dbg_2023-09-28-23-02.zip
(971.2 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

The file size and type will be wrong if the video is being transcoded, and you will probably be unable to seek too.

UMS should only be transcoding videos that are not supported on your device and stream what is. If this is not working right then either UMS is not correctly matching it to the right conf file or there is not one available for that device yet.

The logs that you posted do not show your TV and nothing was playing so could not see if it was transcoding or not and the reasons why.
The zip file does contain your previous logs and does show that most videos are being transcoded, but as this was before putting in trace mode it does not show the decision making. And as your TV did not show in the trace logs then the conf UMS was using did not get attached either.

Could you redo your logs and make sure you play something on the TV before packing them? That should have enough information to get a working conf for you.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
riffster

Post by riffster »

The movie isnt playing at all i dont know if this one will have enough info.....this movie shows up as the right size and plays with the seek without issues on my samsung Q60A 65 inch but not on the CU 7000
Attachments
_ums_dbg_2023-09-29-16-18.zip
(714.08 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-29 at 16.19.44.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-29 at 16.19.44.jpeg (128.08 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-29 at 16.19.45.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-29 at 16.19.45.jpeg (122.89 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
riffster

Post by riffster »

is there any way out of my issue?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I can see that there is no conf file for that model TV so UMS is falling back to an old one to gave some support. As this lists only basic formats all your 4K videos are being transcoded.

The newest conf for Samsung TVs is Samsung-UHD-2019.conf so I modified that to work for yours.
I don't know the specs of your TV as could not find that information but I would guess it is very similar to that one, but it may not be perfect.

Just copy this file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers" and you might have to restart UMS for it to be picked up.
Attachments
Samsung-Crystal_UHD_2023.conf
(9.58 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
riffster

Post by riffster »

Thank you very much..it is working..all the 4k /UHD files are playable and the show up as the correct file size. if anyone needs help with the CU7000 i can assist...i had to do some simple mod of the files before i got it to work.
riffster

Post by riffster »

I may need more help...after upgrading to the newest version im in shambles again...please help me
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-13 at 12.37.20_6cedf2fa.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-13 at 12.37.20_6cedf2fa.jpg (78.6 KiB) Viewed 11178 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

This might just be because that file is in a format that is unsupported. The filename mentions DV which is not mentioned in the conf as a supported format.

To check try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding"
(if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab, in the web GUI it is in the "virtual folders/files" section)

If it still does not play then it is not supported by your TV so will need transcoding.

Is there any attempt to play or does it just say it can't play?
ah1cm

Post by ah1cm »

So I'm still having issues as well. UMS is being detected but like the other person who posted here, I'm unable to actually play most files. They will either throw unknown errors, or occassionally will start playing but be extremely glitchy. I'm having this problem on all file types, including mkv and mpeg. However, MKVs are showing as mpegs so I think that means there is a problem (as I read in another thread).

I attempted to use the render conf posted above but doing so results in the TV not playing files at all, or even attempting to. Files are shown as 0 bytes and the log is showing as attached in the text file.

I'd appreciate any help one might give. I loaded up an alternative DLNA program (Jellyfin) and it is able to transcode to the TV just fine, but it doesn't have as much control over transcoding settings as UMS does, so I'd really prefer to stick with UMS.
Attachments
Log Text.txt
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 31 times