Streaming my PC Desktop on PS3

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
Xcice

Post by Xcice »

First, thank you for UMS, SubJunk. I use it since I got my PS3, so long time ago :)

With my new PC, I have reinstalled everything and latest version of UMS (I was on old UMS one : 7-8 years old)

Quick info/tips for best MKV streaming quality on PS3 inmy case (wired connection) :

1- In Renderer Sony-PlayStation3.conf, change HalveBitrate to false and add TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3
2 - Disable subtitles in the web interface (transcoding parameters)

You will have no subtitles but the best quality for MKV. It forces ffmpeg x264 instead of Mencoder (which gives really poor result in my case).
My MKVs got always internal subtitles, so if i don't do that, it always use Mencoder instead of ffmpeg (even if i don't need the subtitle to be seen) and HalveBitrate = false gives great results in this case.

First, I try to create a local RTMP server on my PC (with Monaserver; tiny RTMP, HTTP local server)
I stream my Desktop with OBS on my local RMTP server (rtmp://localhost/live/xcice)
If I open the stream with local VLC I am able to see perfectly the "live stream" but if i modify SHARED.conf with:

Code: Select all

{
    "name": "Stream",
    "uri": "rtmp://localhost/live/xcice",
    "parent": "Live",
    "active": true,
    "type": "StreamVideo"
  }
It works poorly on PS3 and only with MEncoder. This is lagging and the audio is completly delayed

I have used another approach:

Instead of OBS Streaming, OSB Recording

I am able with OBS to record my PC Desktop in an MKV (video encoder : NVENC AV1, audio encoder: FFmpeg AAC, CQP 15, P6, High etc..)

I use Universal Media Server (UMS) to Stream/Transcode on my PS3 in order to watch this MKV on my videoprojector.
The MKV record my PC Desktop so I could watch a local movie, internet videos, everything from PC etc...on my PS3

It works great and the quality is stunning.

My only "problem" is to find a solution to see the "live record". When I launch the MKV (via UMS) on PS3, I see the beginning of the recording (even if I launch the OBS record 1H ago). I would like to see the "current live position" record/stream when I launch the MKV from PS3

I know it sounds like the "Streaming feature" instead of the "Recording feature" but UMS give bad results when I have created RTMP local server and streamed.

So the question: is there a way to read MKV like a Live Stream buffer in order to see the current "direct live". Maybe this is more a question for OBS (I ask there too) but I notify at least here that I struggled with StreamVideo feature from UMS (with local PC RTMP or HTTP Streaming)

Hope someone will have interesting ideas or explanations.
Xcice

Re: Streaming my PC Desktop on PS3

Post by Xcice »

The funny thing is that I was able to do that until june with my old PC and the old version of UMS (but I don't remember the OBS/UMS settings, just that I was recording in OBS - not streaming- and I was using a feedVideo http link in UMS.conf)
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I can't be of much help here as I have no experience with OBS or streaming, and have not used those features in UMS.

Can you not add the stream directly in UMS instead of using another server?

You might also be able to set up OBS to only stream in a format supported by the PS3 so it will not need to be transcoded agin by UMS and won't need to use FFmpeg or Mencoder. It might have to use something like MPEG-2 and don't use mkv as a container, try MPEG-PS or MPEG-TS.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Xcice

Post by Xcice »

Hi Milk_s,

Finally I found a solution:

Creating "on the fly" the MKV with NvEnc AI which capture my PC screen creates issue too. I try to watch a live internet TV football match on PS3 like this and 2 times it freezes and I had to restart the stream from the beginning (all the rest of the time it was perfect).

In fact, Live Streaming my PC Desktop works with a tiny RTMP server (Monaserver). This is just that NVEnc AI is not supported yet for the RTMP server, I have to use NVEnc H264

So finally : OBS -> Stream my PC Desktop (NvENc H264) on local RTMP server : rtmp://localhost/live/xcice

In Shared.conf :

Code: Select all

{
    "name": "Live",
    "uri": "rtmp://localhost/live/xcice",
    "parent": "Stream",
    "active": true,
    "type": "StreamVideo"
  }
Prioritize 1st : VLC Web for the Web Video engines in UMS and it works as expected.

NvEnc AI is really new and works only when you have Nvidia RTX 40 series graphic cards . Even if this is far better than NVEnc H264 and NVEnc HEVC (40%), I have to let it down for the moment as RTMP server is not supporting it.

Cheers