SAMSUNG TV PLEX APP --> UMS connection

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
PRAXXUS

SAMSUNG TV PLEX APP --> UMS connection

Post by PRAXXUS »

Help Please

I have a new Samsung Smart TV Q60C on my network.
The TV sees the UMS and I can connect and play movies using the basic file folder structure to navigate. This works but it's not "pretty"
Samsung TV has a selection of apps you can install and one is the PLEX Media App... There is a section in the settings to manually configure a server (ie. 192.168.0.xxx port????)

Has anyone been able to link PLEX with UMS?
If so what port do you use?
Or is there another way to connect PLEX?
Can it be done?

Please advise.

Thank you.
mik_s

Re: SAMSUNG TV PLEX APP --> UMS connection

Post by mik_s »

The Plex app is for Plex server so won't work for UMS.

Unfortunately as there is no similar UMS app so you have to use the built in media player which is usually very basic.
The only way UMS can control how media is displayed is though the web player but web browsers on TV's are very limited so may not be able to use it.

I have not tried it myself so you could give it a try to connect to UMS with Plex but I doubt it will work. the IP will be of the computer running UMS and use port 5001 (unless you have changed it).
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
PRAXXUS

Re: SAMSUNG TV PLEX APP --> UMS connection

Post by PRAXXUS »

Thank you for your help.

I can confirm that IP addy/port 5001 does not work with PLEX

It was worth a try.