How to limit the bitrate?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Zambezi

How to limit the bitrate?

Post by Zambezi »

Hi,

I attempted to find a solution via search function, but only found numerous logs. Is there a (simple) method to restrict the bandwidth/bitrate of UMS?

I'm inquiring about this because, at times, when streaming from my PC to my PS4 via Gigabit LAN, there is severe stuttering. This issue occurs with both small (e.g. in a 300 MB container) and large (12+ GB container) files, and it persists across different converters (FFMPEG, etc.). So far, I have been unable to identify the root cause: RAM, CPU, and network load are nowhere near their maximum capacities. However, as you can imagine, this is extremely frustrating.
mik_s

Re: How to limit the bitrate?

Post by mik_s »

There is an option to limit the bitrate in the options, however this will also lower the quality of the video you are playing when transcoding.
You would usually have this set to automatic and UMS will run speed tests for each renderer connected to find the best bitrate to use.
Clipboard Image (4).jpg
Clipboard Image (4).jpg (19.91 KiB) Viewed 6985 times
Also be aware that a gigabit LAN does not mean things connected to it can work at that speed.
I'm not sure but I think the max a PS4 can do is 100Mb/s. On my network I get only 30Mb/s to my PS4 and don't get any stuttering, but I am not playing videos of that size.

It might be caused by something else but will need to see logs to be of any help (see the section in red above).
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.