DTS audio on Yamaha RX-A2040

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Lammerts

DTS audio on Yamaha RX-A2040

Post by Lammerts »

I have a Yamaha RX-A2040 receiver with Network Media Player option wich i use to play MP3 audio. In the past (3-4 years ago) i had UMS setup to also play DTS audio.
Unfortunatly the UMS Server (Linux based) has only been running for a couple of months and then crashed. After that i have not been able to get UMS working again.

A month ago i tried a new UMS setup based on linux but i cannot get the RX-A2040 to play DTS audio. The RX-A2040 can see the location and file, but when playing i only hear noise. I think not the right renderer is selected. But what i do or select (RX-A1020, VLC ) , i cannot get it to play DTS audio .

Has some one an idea on how to get this working?
mik_s

Re: DTS audio on Yamaha RX-A2040

Post by mik_s »

To be of any help I will need to see your logs. See the section in red above.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Lammerts

Post by Lammerts »

This time with the debug log file
ums_dbg_2023-12-09-18-54.zip
log file
(556.95 KiB) Downloaded 713 times

I can select and play files from FLAC and MP3, DTS files are detected/shown, but when selected they are not played/no sound
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Your logs were not in trace mode and saw no attempt to play those files so they were not helpful.
The previous logs were in trace mode so it was enough to see that the Yamaha renderer was correctly detected, but as nothing was being played I could not see how UMS would handle files for it.

Please follow the instructions to put into trace mode first then replicate your problem before packing the logs.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Lammerts

Post by Lammerts »

A new attempt.......
ums_dbg_2023-12-10-13-26.zip
(685.16 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I don't know why it is not playing.

I can see that the right conf is being used, it was written for the RX-A2050 (Yamaha-RXA2050.conf and Yamaha-AV.conf are identical bar loading priority) but I doubt there will be any difference, and all your files are being streamed unaltered.

Only thing I can think of is that the RX-A2040 does not support DTS or DTSHD (I can't see which is being used) in Wav files whereas the RX-A2050 does, but I can't find any specs to confirm this.

If this is the case then you can alter the Yamaha-AV.conf to remove dts and/or dtshd from the WAV line so those files will be transcoded to a playable format.

Is there a way to play them from a USB drive plugged into the player? or another way that does not use UMS? If they don't play this way then it confirms they are not supported.
Lammerts

Post by Lammerts »

Thanks for the update. As far as I know the RX-A2040 does not have support for DTS. It has never played DTS, I only hear noise/hissing. MP3 and FLAC is playing without problem.
I never tried playing DTS from USB drive/stick, I will try that comming days
I have had DTS playing (transcoded probably) some 2-3 years ago, but then when the Linux UMS crashed, I never was able to get it playing again, so it must be something with transcoding to get it to play DTS
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

If it does not support DTS then this is the problem as UMS thinks it does with that conf.

Give this conf a try, I have removed references to DTS as a supported format so UMS will transcode those.
Just copy to the renderer folder (I don't know the exact location on Linux) and restart UMS.
Attachments
Yamaha-RX-A2040.conf
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
Lammerts

Post by Lammerts »

Thanks, I will try this config and let you know.

PS: what kind of platform are u running UMS? if it is Windows I can try this in a virtual setting and can see what it brings
Lammerts

Post by Lammerts »

I tried the latest config on both a linux and windows platform PC.
I contacted Yamaha.nl and asked what kind of music formats are supported, because a lot of Video with DTS contact is supported, but apparantly not for plain audio

Yamaha Reply:

For playing audio over network the device supports WAV (PCM Only), MP3
WMA, MPEG-4AAC, FLAC and ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec).

For Linux i run a network mount to the DTS Audio Share on my NAS. The audio share holds MP3, FLAC and DTS as subfolder,each holding the different formats.
FLAC and MP3 are played without a problem, so i know the mount/share works.

I think the key for DTS streaming sits in the WAV/PCM codec, how to get this as prefered codec?
Last edited by Lammerts on Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.