DTS, UMS and PS3

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Gaston62

DTS, UMS and PS3

Post by Gaston62 »

Hello !

I am using UMS to link my PS3 to my PC, and use it to watch movies. It is generally working very well.

But I have remarked that movies with DTS sound are a real problem, as the movie shows the image, but the sound is not working (only sound I hear is a horrible parasite sound...). The strange thing is that, when palying DVDs on the PS3, DTS is not a problem, and those movies can play the sound very well. Problem happens only when I read a .mkv file that has sound encoded in DTS with the PS3 from my PC.

Does anybody know what causes this ? Thanks in advance.
mik_s

Re: DTS, UMS and PS3

Post by mik_s »

I don't think the PS3 supports DTS as there is no mention of it being a supported format in the conf. Also in the notes there is

Code: Select all

# Our PS3-specific notes:
# DTS is not supported.
I think your transcoding settings may be wrong and it is still sending the DTS tracks when transcoding.
Check your transcoding settings to uncheck anything that mentions DTS. It's been a while since I used a PS3 so I'm not entirely sure what is needed.

If something else is going on then I will need to see your logs to be sure.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Gaston62

Re: DTS, UMS and PS3

Post by Gaston62 »

I have DVDs with DTS. And ma PS3 reads them when selected. But I did what you told me, and now... it works !!! Thanks.