Java issue when operating UMS on a high CPU

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
hiagetn

Java issue when operating UMS on a high CPU

Post by hiagetn »

I've been using Universal Media Server for many years to stream family photographs, home videos, music, and movies to my smart TV from my desktop PC running Ubuntu (now Bionic 18.04). The media library is extensive.

Oracle Java 8 is using a lot of my CPU resources. It might be up to 40%.

UMS displays a lot of media indexing activity, and I am unable to quit UMS via the interface.

My only option is to kill Java using System Monitor.
mik_s

Re: Java issue when operating UMS on a high CPU

Post by mik_s »

Will need to see logs to know exactly what is happening (see the section in red above), but it is normal for UMS to use a lot of CPU when scanning your media.
If you have an extensive media library this can take a while but once everything is scanned it should return to normal and not need to do it again.
Any changes to your media files will then only take seconds to scan.

If you just upgraded to a newer version or your database was corrupt then this might be what triggered the scan if you did not do it yourself.

UMS should still quit when you want it too. How did you try and quit, the old interface or the web based one? Did you try right clicking the tray icon and selecting quit?
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.