Roku players not connecting to UMS?

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
WarpNine

Roku players not connecting to UMS?

Post by WarpNine »

I just installed UMS on my Windows 11 system, and even though all the Roku devices show up on the server as "Network Devices" none of them recognize the server themselves as a DLNA source or show up under "Detected Media Renderers" on the server. I tried forcing the server's IP to be the LAN address of the localhost it's running on and have diddled with trying every pre-configured Roku renderer as the default - but still can't get any of the Roku devices to connect to the server at all. I'm running out of ideas about what to try next... Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
mik_s

Re: Roku players not connecting to UMS?

Post by mik_s »

Check that the Rokus and your computer are on the same subnet on your network so that their IPs start with 192.168.1.x for example.
How is your network configured? wireless/wifi?

If anything else is going on I will need to see logs to be of any more help. See the link in my sig.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
WarpNine

Re: Roku players not connecting to UMS?

Post by WarpNine »

Thanks!

I figured it out, a self inflicted wound from Portmaster's software firewall - seemed to be blocking the connection from the Roku devices. I had it set to its default of "blocking incoming connections" which didn't impact the other media server software I'd been using (Home Media Server) - but it sure stopped the Roku devices from connecting to the shared media on UMS completely.

I still don't understand why Portmaster doesn't see UMS as a network application at all, so I couldn't adjust its specific settings to allow the incoming connections to it - without changing the global setting against the software's recommendations. I didn't check the box to run UMS as a Windows service, so I don't know why Portmaster can't see it?

Thanks again for your help!