TV fails to see UMS but UMS see the TV

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Regge

TV fails to see UMS but UMS see the TV

Post by Regge »

I have been using for years with sharp aquos TV. I have postponed the updates for months now.

Up to UMS-10.2.1 it's working fine. If I update to any 13.x or 13.8.0 then TV fails to see UMS but UMS see the Sharp Aquos TV.
Using Windows 11 latest 23h2.

- I did Force networking interface,
- Tried to enable or disable all Windows firewall without success.
- Media player is set to default (which I am not sure what is)... newer version have new media player and 13.8 back to default.

Note : When TV is connected to 10.2.1 and I update to 13.8.0 without closing the TV - it does work until I try to reconnect to 13.8 again or reboot TV.

Note2: Reinstalling 10.2.1 it does work again.

Thanks.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2023-12-25-18-54.zip
(169.47 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
mik_s

Re: TV fails to see UMS but UMS see the TV

Post by mik_s »

When a device cannot see UMS it is usually doe to something blocking it like the firewall. When UMS is installed it should set up the firewall rules automatically but may not if you have a separate firewall or antivirus software.

I can't really see anything pointing to the exact cause after a quick scan of the logs. I can see UMS is detecting the TV just fine on 192.168.0.109 and can run a speed test.
I don't see the normal headers I would usually expect to see so can't tell what UMS is matching the headers too or what model the TV is.

There was some major rework to the networking part of UMS in V11 to fix a lot of bugs and bring it more into spec but some of this may break some things for older devices.
How old is your TV and what is its model number?

I saw something added to your UMS.conf that should not be there.

Code: Select all

## Rejean Pause les mkv sur sharp aquos TV
## https://www.universalmediaserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=957
SeekByTime = true
The post it points to is from 2013 so should not be relevant now, also the SeekByTime needs to be in the renderer conf not UMS.conf

You should not need to force a network interface now.There were issues with UMS picking the wrong one if you had a VPN in older versions but now it should ignore them and pick a real used physical interface. Try resetting this to default and let UMS pick it.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Regge

Post by Regge »

Hi Mik_s
Thank you for the reply.

The TV is Sharp Aquos LC-60LE632U and I do not have a separate firewall. It's Defender on Windows 11.. disabled it didn't change.
So far the TV does see the UMS server with any version later than 10.2.1

SeekByTime is required to play mkv on that TV other pause does not work and show "Invalid Operation"
I understand the detail... so I did move it to the "renderers\Sharp-Aquos.conf"

Reinstalling UMS-10.2.1 does work fine again after a reboot.

Media server engine is set to default and the scroll down menu have 3 other choice (socket, netty, java)
Newer version have different names... so I wonder what is the default and if the default engine changed somehow and is maybe not compatible with my TV?

best regards
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I did a quick search of your model TV and saw it was from 2011. This may be old enough to not meet the current networking standards so could be why it is not working.

Give the other media server engine options a try, this was part of the V11 changes with networking.
I did not actually realise those options were there. I can't remember which one was used in V10 but it may have been netty.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Regge

Post by Regge »

It may be a 10 year old 60 inch TV and pretty sure networking standard has not change much and I thought UMS should be backward compatible.
To me it make no much sense that it's working well on any version up to 10.2.1 but nothing on 12x or 13x (it may be a bug)

I will try more testing.. One thing I didn't test was to reboot between each modification... which was required when I rolled back to 10.2.1.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I don't know the details but know there were a lot of "hacks" to make some devices work properly with networking as they were not compliant with the spec and with V11 the devs tried to bring UMS back within spec by using a different networking dependency as these hacks were causing other bugs that were hard to track down.

It is a total guess though and the devs may have to look into it if those other media server engine options don't work as I don't know enough about this.