Q: "Maximun bandwidth in Mb/s"

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
phossler

Q: "Maximun bandwidth in Mb/s"

Post by phossler »

What does this do and how does it work?

I couldn't find any documentation; only the tool tip

I have a wifi connection to my Sansung TV. I had always just keft it on automatic ( = 90) and sometimes I have problems getting a large-ish movie to play. I changed it to 30 andnow the same movie will play fine

Paul
mik_s

Re: Q: "Maximun bandwidth in Mb/s"

Post by mik_s »

As transcoding has to be done as fast as possible it is not very efficient so creates a lot of data and this setting limits how much network bandwidth to use by lowing the quality, which is useful if you have an old slow network. Also some devices might not be capable of transferring data at the same speed as the rest of the network like when they are on Wifi some distance away from the access point.

In recent versions of UMS there is a speed test for each device to see the actual bandwidth to use so you can just keep this on automatic.
The actual speed will fluctuate depending on what is happening on the network so it may be when a speed test is done it is not the same as when you play a video and is now hitting the limits. Manually setting this puts a hard limit on what UMS will use.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.