[Fixed] Installing New Version Over Older One

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
counsil

[Fixed] Installing New Version Over Older One

Post by counsil »

Windows 7 64-bit

I tried installing the new version of UMS over the old and none of my devices could find UMS. When I tried to install it again I kept getting error stating files were in use.

In order to fix the issue I had to uninstall UMS and re-install.

All just FYI...
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Installing New Version Over Older One

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for reporting this, counsil.
It's a very old bug from PMS, old as in years and years hehe :) We might fix it in UMS though
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Just for your info Subjunk, the file i get when UMS is updating that cannot overwrite (or is use) is MediaInfo.dll
I had do not only uninstall UMS, but also delete that file out of the folder to get UMS to work again.

Keep up all this good work, I've been using your build's since you started on PS3:MS
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the info, Optimus_prime. It's an old and well-known issue, but all you do to fix it is make sure the program isn't running when you install the new version.
Also if you use the automatic update it shouldn't happen :)
I will look into making the program close when the installer is run though :)
counsil

Post by counsil »

This time was different. I have installed PMS lots of times. In the past all I needed to do was make sure PMS wasn't running. This time I had to uninstall UMS, delete the UMS directory, AND reboot in order to install the new version. I kept getting mediainfo.dll, etc errors stating it couldn't copy over the files. I am thinking that UMS wasn't killing all of it's processes (although I verified java, etc wasn't running in the task manager) when I closed it down to install the new version.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

I also got that one on the mediafile, I just terminated javaw.exe (because I still had UMS running during installation and stopped it but it seems javaw.exe was still running, you certainly might want to insert a check into the installation to see if UMS is running) which had it in use and the installation continued...
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

SuperDre wrote:you certainly might want to insert a check into the installation to see if UMS is running
Yeah that's on the to-do list :)