Automatic folder rescan

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
naks

Automatic folder rescan

Post by naks »

Hi all,

Just a general question - is possible to make UMS do automated folder scans?

I have the 'Hide Empty Folders' set to ON since I have a large number of series, but when Sickbeard puts new episodes in the folders, UMS does not detect these.

This means that I have to manually restart UMS every time I want to watch something newly downloaded.

UMS v5 running on Windows 7 x64.
ExSport

Re: Automatic folder rescan

Post by ExSport »

Restart is needed only in case you want to add new "root" folder. If you will add new folder to already shared one, UMS should show it automatically (refresh is like going back down in a folder and back up to the folder)
naks

Post by naks »

Sorry, maybe I wasn't too clear.

The folders are all there, new episodes are added to the existing folders. Once I have watched an episode, it gets deleted (for space saving).

When the next episode is downloaded, UMS does not detect that the folder is now not empty.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Understand. So it is in combinations with hide empty folders. When you will untick hide empty folders, do you see change? It means if file is added, UMS will show it and when deleted, UMS will remove it automatically? If yes, then bug is somewhere in combination with "hide empty folders" feature.
Try it and also create logs in TRACE level to debug it.
naks

Post by naks »

Yes, when I uncheck 'Hide empty folders', it shows all folders.

However, there are too many folders and that makes it very difficult to navigate.

I will set the logs to Trace and see
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Question was to temporarily disable "hide empty folders" to see if UMS behaves correctly so when file is added, UMS refreshes folder so file is visible on renderer. Same way file is removed on renderer after refresh and physical removal of file.
If it is true, then general behavior works as it should so problem have to be somewhen in combination with "hide empty folders" which is helpful info for developers where to look at 8-)
Post your logs and your findings.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I also would like a button for automatic folder rescan but for a slightly different reason.

I need subtitles for my TV shows that may come weeks to months after I have the TV file. So, say I have a show with 10 episodes, and 5 have subtitles. UMS will detect those 5 subtitles. Say I watch episode 5 and then notice that the subtitles for episode 6 is now available. I download them into the folder, but UMS will not see them until I quit and restart UMS to get a fresh folder rescan. I wouldn't mind a button in the UI where I can force UMS to scan all folders like it dos when I first start UMS.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

What I remember (check changelog for v5) latest version supports background refreshes of anything (editing subs, adding subs, editing renderer.confs, adding new renderer.confs etc.) so not only video or audio files as in past.
Hopefully I am not wrong 8-)
naks

Post by naks »

ExSport wrote:Question was to temporarily disable "hide empty folders" to see if UMS behaves correctly so when file is added, UMS refreshes folder so file is visible on renderer. Same way file is removed on renderer after refresh and physical removal of file.
If it is true, then general behavior works as it should so problem have to be somewhen in combination with "hide empty folders" which is helpful info for developers where to look at 8-)
Post your logs and your findings.

I can confirm that when disabling 'Hide empty folders', UMS behaves correctly - new episodes are shown in the renderer automatically.

So it would seem that the problem is with automatic refresh when 'hide empty folders' is enabled.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for reporting this. I've added an issue on our bug tracker and we'll fix it soon, hopefully before the next release.

https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... issues/475