Plugin development setup issue, Windows

Developers forum for Univeral Media Server-related development (only for programmers)
TankBank

Plugin development setup issue, Windows

Post by TankBank »

Hey all. I've run into an issue getting a development environment set up in Windows for making a plugin.

I'm following the guide at https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... /README.md, which instructs to use the BUILD.md PS3MediaServer instructions to build a snapshot UMS. (...There's no BUILD.md for UniversalMediaServer???)

I used the following for the environment variables:

Code: Select all

SET JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_51
SET M2_HOME=C:\Program Files\Apache Maven
SET M2=C:\Program Files\Apache Maven\bin
SET GRADLE_HOME=C:\Program Files\Gradle
SET PATH=%PATH%;%M2%;%GRADLE_HOME%\bin
...and the build completed without issue using the UniversalMediaServer github; everything built fine using maven and I ended up with a completed build in /target.

This brings me to the first step of the Plugin Development doc, "Step 1: install UMS to local maven repository". It says to execute

mvn javadoc:jar source:jar install
in the UMS root folder. I know maven is installed correctly because the

mvn package
command went fine and completed a build.

Anyone know what's going wrong here or any further logs that might be needed to debug?

Thanks in advance!

-----
Edit: See below post for my actual issue. Whoops.
TankBank

Re: Plugin development setup issue, Windows

Post by TankBank »

CRAP; some lines got deleted when I posted and this post didn't have my actual ISSUE. Basically after

mvn javadoc:jar source:jar install
I ended up with a screen full of [ERROR]s. Here's the full output log (PASTEBIN).

It looks like it made a bunch of htmls, but still said build failed and gave the [ERROR]s. Is this to be as expected and should I continue from here, or is there something wrong?

Edit: Here's the pastebin of the output of 'mvn package', which looks just peachy. And I did go ahead and try the gradle/eclipse route, and Eclipse is indeed complaining of an unresolved reference to 'net.pms.external.ExternalListener', so it definitely seems the 'mvn javadoc:jar source:jar install' failed...

Edit 2: I added the ums-5.2.2-SNAPSHOT.jar as an external Jar library; Eclipse seems okay enough now and gradle compiles the plugin fine. But there still may be some issues with that mvn javadoc thing failing.
atamariya

Re: Plugin development setup issue, Windows

Post by atamariya »

I haven't seen plugins working in UMS for a long time now. Is there anything specific you want to add via plugins? If it's something minor, you're better off adding it in the main codebase.