UMS refuses to initialize when updating to version 6 and above

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Eruanno

UMS refuses to initialize when updating to version 6 and above

Post by Eruanno »

Hello!

So I've been previously running UMS 5.3.1 and it ran fine. Today I noticed there had been quite a few updates up until version 6.2.0 which I installed by uninstalling the old version, ticking the fresh install box on the installer and... it doesn't work. Every time I try to intialize the application, I get this line in the log:
14:31:43 ERROR A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: Address already in use: bind

Which suggests that something is using the same IP? I guess? I tried running netstat but it shows nothing running on that port (which I assume to be 5001, since that's what it says in the settings). I've tried rebooting, killing the process, reinstalling and nothing works. The only version that will work is UMS version 5.3.1 and below which I'm running again. I also cannot change any settings at all in UMS 6 and above since... something...? refuses to initialize.

I attached the log I managed to pull from the application, I'm not sure if you need anything else to look up on the problem. Please ask if you do.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(17.64 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
DeFlanko

Re: UMS refuses to initialize when updating to version 6 and above

Post by DeFlanko »

Sometimes you might have to launch Task Manager, and kill any Java.exe processes first, then run the installer.
Supermanfan77

Re: UMS refuses to initialize when updating to version 6 and above

Post by Supermanfan77 »

Eruanno wrote:Hello!

So I've been previously running UMS 5.3.1 and it ran fine. Today I noticed there had been quite a few updates up until version 6.2.0 which I installed by uninstalling the old version, ticking the fresh install box on the installer and... it doesn't work. Every time I try to intialize the application, I get this line in the log:
14:31:43 ERROR A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: Address already in use: bind

Which suggests that something is using the same IP? I guess? I tried running netstat but it shows nothing running on that port (which I assume to be 5001, since that's what it says in the settings). I've tried rebooting, killing the process, reinstalling and nothing works. The only version that will work is UMS version 5.3.1 and below which I'm running again. I also cannot change any settings at all in UMS 6 and above since... something...? refuses to initialize.

I attached the log I managed to pull from the application, I'm not sure if you need anything else to look up on the problem. Please ask if you do.
Do you have antivirus software that has a realtime virus scan? If so add UMS's programs folder to the ignore list. I had this same issue and also where UMS would take upwards of 30 minutes to load while also taxing my CPU heavily. After I added UMS to the realtime virus scanner's ignore list UMS loads instantly.